Follow me! Pretty Please?

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Recent Grad


I graduated college last Saturday.  Now what?  Well, the first thing I did was pack my life away and bid farewell to the place that has been my home for the past four years, and returned to the home of my childhood.  I am 33 years old, living with my parents, and am super excited that I got a job at the local movie theatre.  Is this what it was supposed to be like? 

It’s not that I don’t have a vision for my future, I do, it’s that my vision is not becoming a reality.  I was planning on grad school, but I had a mental shut down this past year, only applied to one school, and was waitlisted.  So, I started job searching for positions in my chosen field (Student Affairs/ResLife) that don’t require a masters degree; preferably an RD position – free housing is a definite plus right now.  I still am waiting to hear back from places I have submitted my resume to, but so far it’s looking grim.

So, today I put in an application at the local movie theatre.  I’ve always wanted to work at a movie theatre.  I got hired practically on the spot, and start tomorrow.  I see this as a great opportunity – I love movies, so I get to see all the movies for free, and for some reason I feel like this place will give me so much to write about, so that’s a good thing, too.  I know it is only temporary – a paycheck and experience to tide me over until a grad school or a job comes along.  Plus, free movies.  I give myself a year to earn some money and get my shit straightened out.  I can live at home and work in a movie theatre for a year.  Right?

My future is very uncertain, and a large part of me is ok with that.  It was this uncertainty that pointed me towards going back to college and earning a degree in the first place, and I came out of that a strong, confident and well-educated person.  So, if this is the next step, then I’m game.

No comments:

Post a Comment